Dusk Beach Moments with Mom

Dusk Beach Moments With Dad

Chicken Universe

Wednesday, March 31, 2010


In December of 2008 I headed out to the west coast to visit family and friends. Some of my favorite sights, sounds, and smells are found in and around Newport, OR. During that trip and late one Sunday afternoon I headed that direction from the Valley about 45 minutes away, Corvallis, and made the trip to Newport. I stood above the docks just as the sun was going down. I walked down the long approach to the nested fishing boats in the harbor. It struck me how they were all together there like tired, sleeping fishermen in their assigned births up and down the docks.

The water was unusually calm. Picking my way along the floating docks I snapped a few photos and then headed back up the ramp to shore. Many of those shots came out surprisingly good, but this one demanded to be painted. What you see here, Sleeping Fishers, is my interpretation of that image. This is actually a poor picture of that painting, but it will do for now. There was one lone duck making its way across the quiet water. Can you see him? (16 X 20, Acrylic orig. Geclee $210)

1 comment:

  1. As a lifelong aficianado of jigsaw puzzles, this painting reminds me of a classic jigsaw puzzle scene. As you say it demanded to be painted...I also see it as something that demands to be deconstructed, mixed up, and reconstructed. All the colors are amazing...different and alike at the same time. The details look sharp, but hidden.. the duck is bonus material, but I can see him hiding in the pile of pieces like a golden egg, eliciting a whoop of excitement when someone yells "I found the duck!"

    ReplyDelete